Which blinds, shutters, louvres or awnings are best for your home?
When thinking of buying a window covering or outdoor shade, consider the following:
- Colour: often a key consideration when seeking to enhance the aesthetic appeal of a room. It plays an important role in determining how effective the window covering or outdoor shade will be at helping control the temperature in a room and save energy. Lighter colours reflect heat and light, darker colours absorb heat and may reflect that inwards. Your location will help you determine if a lighter or darker colour suits best.
- Light control: would you like to darken the room, reduce glare or allow natural light in? Window coverings and outdoor shades can filter or deflect sunlight and provide different degrees of opacity: blockout, filtered light or see-through.
- Insulation & energy efficiency: one of the greatest benefits of window coverings and outdoor shades is their ability to control the temperature inside your home. Selecting the right blind, shutter, louvre or awning will help better insulate your home and save energy. A well-insulated window can reduce energy consumption as it relies less on air-conditioning/heating to control the temperature of a room. Combine internal blinds and shutters with external blinds, louvres, shutters and awnings for the best year-round results.
- Privacy: maintaining privacy day and night may be an important consideration, particularly for bedrooms and bathrooms. Fortunately, you don’t need to give up a beautiful view or block out daylight to achieve an adequate level of privacy. Various types of window coverings can help you achieve the required level of privacy.
- Easy maintenance: a key consideration for those who are time poor or have a young family is the ease of maintenance. Consider the material being used, the anti-static dust-repelling qualities, and how easy they are to clean.
Child safety: window coverings and outdoor shades sold in Australia by members of the BMAA comply with the latest ACCC Child Safety Regulations to ensure they are safe for children. Automation helps make your blinds and awnings child-safe.